Today is the memorial of St John of the Cross (*1542 +1591), doctor of the Church and one of the great masters of the spiritual life. Here are some quotes from his writings.
- “They can be like the sun, words. They can do for the heart what light can for a field.”
- “In the twilight of life, God will not judge us on our earthly possessions and human successes, but on how well we have loved.”
- “Well and good if all things change, O Lord God, provided I am rooted in You.”
- “Where there is no love, put love — and you will find love.”
- “Have a great love for those who contradict and fail to love you, for in this way love is begotten in a heart that has no love.”
- “Happiness is not a destination, it’s a method of travel.”
- “God has to work in the soul in secret and in darkness because if we fully knew what was happening, and what Mystery, transformation, God and Grace will eventually ask of us, we would either try to take charge or stop the whole process.”