Today’s saint is Vincent DePaul (+1660), the great apostle of charity. His heart is incorrupt and is kept in the Rue DuBac chapel in Paris along with the incorrupt body of St Catherine Laboure. His incorrupt heart points to the enduring value of charity.
Here are some of his quotes from http://topaz.cstcis.cti.depaul.edu/quotes/quotes/list?id=6
- Good works are often spoiled by moving too quickly. . . . The good which God desires is accomplished almost by itself, without our even thinking of it.
- If after so much effort and prayer, the matter is not successful, it will be a clear sign that God does not will it.
- The works of God are not accomplished when we wish them, but whenever it pleases Him.
- The Church is compared to a great harvest field that needs laborers [lay as well as priests/religious!], but the laborers are wanting. There is nothing more in keeping with the Gospel than, on the one hand, to gather up light and strength for the soul in prayer, spiritual reading, and solitude, and then to go forth and dispense this spiritual good to men. This is doing what our Lord, and his Apostles after him, enjoined. This is to join the office of Martha and Mary. This is to imitate the dove, that half digests its food and then with its beak places the remainder in the mouths of its young to feed them. That is how we should act, that is how we should bear witness to God, by our deeds, that we love him!
- Give me a man of prayer and he will be capable of everything; he can say with the Apostles: ‘I can do all things in Him who sustains and comforts me.’ The Congregation of the Mission will last as long as the exercise of mental prayer is faithfully carried out in it, because prayer is an impregnable rampart which will shield Missionaries from all sorts of attacks. It is a Mystical arsenal, a Tower of David, which will furnish them with all sorts of arms, not only for the purpose of defense but also of attack. [Applies to non-missionaries too!]
- The works of God have their moment; His Providence brings them about at that time and neither sooner nor later. The Son of God saw the loss of souls; yet, He did not advance the hour ordained for His coming. Let us wait patiently…
- We cannot better assure our eternal happiness than by living and dying in the service of the poor, in the arms of Providence, and with genuine renouncement of ourselves in order to follow Jesus Christ.
- Charity is the cement which binds Communities to God and persons to one another . . .
- . . . [I]n the kingdom of charity, one prefers to suffer some inconvenience rather than inconvenience the neighbor.